Sunday, July 1, 2012

"So, where the hell have you been?" Major updates!

It is 11:45, and I am just now getting to this task that I set up for myself yesterday. I went MIA, and since I know that not all of you are Facebook/Twitter followers, I owe you an explantion!

As you saw in my last? post, Jesse and I spent the 19th and 20th helping clean up the disaster at a vintage shop in Eugene, Oregon. Thursday, we had a break - here's one little peek - more photos to follow at the end of the blog.



And then things got crazy. We went down to do the final clean out on Friday, and the owners of the shop sat us down, and told us that they had decided to consign their inventory to us. My life changed overnight.

Approximately 1/3 of the new inventory. Note the cute mid-50s Kamehameha on the far right.

We have not stopped working since that day. Most days have been 14-19 hours of work, just trying to preserve the items that were wet/damaged, and sort and store the items that were not. We've made a total of something like five round trips totally about an entire 24 hours of driving. We filled a 14ft Uhaul, a 17ft Uhaul, and crammed my little Pontiac vibe to bursting. There's only about one carload left, now.

I did get to wear a nice dress (although I wasn't able to do my hair - turban time!) to meet with ANOTHER wonderful consignor, who is considering letting go of her 30+ year collection of early dresses - 1930s on back. That was last Sunday. It's the last time I looked like a person!



We are not entirely sure how many thousands of garments we are dealing with. There's a vintage clothing triage center set up in the back. Tents, bins to wash needy items in, racks to hang dry things that are damp, wet, or just plaid soaked. We are taking items to the dry cleaner over 100 at a time. Both Jesse and I are wrung out, completely exhausted. I'll be honest with you - I have never worked so hard, in such a concentrated period of time in my life. But it is worth it, because in this collection, there's pieces like this:


c. 1918 Edwardian Wool Walking Suit with Soutache. Currently listed on Etsy


Today, I sat down on the couch (which is crowded with 30s and 40s metallic heels I'm looking for the mates to.) It was the first time in over a week that I sat down for more than a fifteen minute meal break - and I promptly fell asleep. I had a nearly four hour nap. It was much needed, and I would never have let myself take the time if it hadn't just happened, so that was a good thing.

So, yes, I had to fall off the band wagon. My days have been starting at 5 or 6 am, and ending at midnight (or later - it's 12:20 now!) and so getting pretty has had to be my last priority. Also, we've been forgetting to eat, and have most of our meals delivered, or eating pre-made snacks. We've gone out a time or two. I haven't lost ANY weight. But I haven't gained any, and I'm considering that a victory, considering.

I think we have another five to six days of really intense work before things start to even out. Then I'll pick back up with the blog again, and start getting more listings up on Etsy.

I appreciate your patience bearing with me during this incredible, amazing, stressful, trying time. Your support is appreciated!

Here's one more pic from Thursday. I'm afraid all my shots from Sunday show my exhaustion, and they aren't very attractive!

11 comments:

  1. My goodness you've been busy. It looks like a great deal of work. Good for you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maintaining, especially during a period where you are off your normal schedule is awesome! I can't wait to see the rest of these lovelies trickle into the shop! So gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing something of massive importance here... Preserving history. It's great to know there's someone like you helping turn this tragedy into a victory for vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My word, I can imagine how incredibly knackered you must be at this point. It's amazing though that you've been able to take on this load (quite literally!) and I really commend you guys for working so tirelessly to help preserve as many of these amazing vintage garments as you possibly can. (Vintage) hats off to you for sure!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are BEYOND impressive and I am seriously stunned by your dedication and the confidence that the owners of the vintage shop show in your ability to take care of these pieces of history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you have some local volunteers to help! amazing opportunity
    to rescue these treasures and am sure so rewarding long term...the diet can wait! p.s. I love that gold hat...
    very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, you are having a wild and wonderful adventure! Wish I were close enough to help. Thank you for sharing these stories with us!
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I could help you out! If you can ever use a seamstress in Philly...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pics! Congrats on the salvaged stock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an amazing thing to happen! (despite all of the hard work, I'm sure you'll say it was worth it in the end) I can't wait to see what comes into your shop!

    (I was wondering where you'd gone to!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh the monkey!! P.S. Hit a girl up with any size 8 shoes you don't have time to post...always in the market!

    ReplyDelete